Estimation of Freezing Point Depression, Boiling Point Elevation, and Vaporization Enthalpies of Electrolyte Solutions
2009 (English)In: Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, ISSN 0888-5885, E-ISSN 1520-5045, Vol. 48, no 4, 2229-2235 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
A novel approach is presented in this work for predicting the values of freezing point depression and boiling point elevation for electrolyte solutions at different concentrations on the basis of the Pitzer theories. This method treats the enthalpy change of the solution between the normal freezing point or boiling point and the real ones to be linear temperature dependence. Compared with the literature values, this method performs very well; also, the temperature-dependent parameters of some salts are incorporated to investigate temperature effects of this method. Furthermore, a method based on the Clausius-Clapeyron equation is derived for estimation of the enthalpy of vaporization of very high concentration solutions at different temperatures, and the predicted results are highly positive.
Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2009. Vol. 48, no 4, 2229-2235 p.
IdentifiersURN: urn:nbn:se:kth:diva-32337DOI: 10.1021/ie801348cISI: 000263268900066ScopusID: 2-s2.0-61849151288OAI: oai:DiVA.org:kth-32337DiVA: diva2:410076
QC 20110412 Korrigering:Page 2234. Some author names in the “Literature Cited” sectionparticularly in refs 1, 3, 6, 7, 9, and 26 were not presented correctly in the previously published paper. The correct presentations of these references are given as follows:
(1) Kiyosawa, K. Theoretical and experimental studies on freezing point depression and vapor pressure deficit as methods to measure osmotic pressure of aqueous polyethylene glycol and bovine serum albumin solutions. Biophys. Chem. 2003, 104, 171−188.
(3) Meranda, D.; William, F. F. Elevation of the boiling point of water by salts at saturation: Data and correlation. J. Chem. Eng. Data 1977, 22, 315−317.
(6) Svoboda, V.; Basałova, P. Correlation of enthalpies of vaporization of pure substances. Part I. Fluid Phase Equilib. 1994, 93, 167−175.
(7) Svoboda, V.; Basałova, P. Correlation of enthalpies of vaporization of pure substances. Part II. Fluid Phase Equilib. 1994, 97, 1−11.
(9) Macleod, M.; Scheringer, M.; Hungerbhler, K. Estimating enthalpy of vaporization from vapor pressure using Trouton’s rule. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2007, 41, 2827−2832.
(26) Haghighi H.; Chapoy, A.; Tohidi, B. Freezing point depression of electrolyte solutions: Experimental measurements and modeling using the cubic-plus-association equation of state. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2008, 47, 3983−3989.2011-04-122011-04-122011-04-12Bibliographically approved