Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Fuel options for the transport sector in the Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
KTH, School of Industrial Engineering and Management (ITM), Energy Technology, Energy and Climate Studies, ECS.
2008 (English)Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (Two Years)), 20 credits / 30 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

Given the present adverse situation of energy security, flow of hard cash in importingscarce fossil fuels and deteriorating air quality of congested urban cities of developingcountries, it is important to evaluate available renewable energy options for the transport sector. This thesis examines and reviews the appropriateness of available fuel options- ethanol blendedgasoline and electricity- in the transport sector of the capital city of Nepal, Kathmandu Valley.First, the study estimates the net energy value (NEV) and energy yield ratio of molasses basedethanol from cradle to grave approach. Second, performance of ethanol blended gasoline vehicle isreviewed. Potential of ethanol production and subsequent gasoline savings are scrutinized. Third,energy efficiency of battery operated three-wheeler electric vehicle (EV) is examined and comparedwith conventional fossil fuel powered three-wheelers.

Preliminary finding shows that fossil fuel consumption to produce one litre of anhydrous ethanol (EtOH) is 2.799 MJ, which gives the energy yield ratio of 7.573 at present conditions. This ratiobecomes lower when the use of fertilizers/chemicals and rate of irrigation are increased. Price ofmolasses contributes a big role since economic allocation is used to partition the energy valuesassociated with sugar and molasses. The study also depicts that total energy inputs (fossil plusrenewable) are higher that the net energy content of EtOH. At present, E10 (blend of 10% EtOH and90% gasoline in volume by volume) can substitute 5,485 m3 of the imported gasoline annually.Besides, local air pollutants like CO, HC are greatly reduced. Three-wheeler battery operatedelectric vehicle (EV) has lower well to wheel (WtW) and tank to wheel (TtW) efficiency than theirLPG, gasoline and diesel operated counterparts in terms of fuel consumption per kilometre. WtW efficiency of the EV is 1.789 MJ/km while diesel and gasoline three wheelers have 3.587 MJ/km and 3.712 MJ/km respectively, considering 99% of electricity in the grid issupplied by hydropower and the rest 1% by diesel power plants.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2008.
Keyword [en]
Net Energy Value, Energy Yield Ratio, E10, Electric Vehicle, Energy Efficiency
National Category
Energy Systems
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:kth:diva-48063OAI: oai:DiVA.org:kth-48063DiVA: diva2:456757
Subject / course
Energy and Climate Studies
Uppsok
Technology
Supervisors
Examiners
Available from: 2011-11-16 Created: 2011-11-15 Last updated: 2011-11-16Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

sammanfattning(83 kB)151 downloads
File information
File name SUMMARY01.pdfFile size 83 kBChecksum SHA-512
d6437d2fd0fb342f2fd3d4e6baa60edf886cfd6cfdbd91cbe274b50a2861f47b82069aa8288ccce5a41c4b5b716a168c7603f6d7d8b6b479de16283c55bc6825
Type summaryMimetype application/pdf

By organisation
Energy and Climate Studies, ECS
Energy Systems

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

urn-nbn

Altmetric score

urn-nbn
Total: 250 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf