Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Genetic variability among native dog breeds in Turkey
Show others and affiliations
2013 (English)In: Turkish Journal of Biology, ISSN 1300-0152, E-ISSN 1303-6092, Vol. 37, no 2, 176-183 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

In this study, the genetic structures and relationships of native Turkish dog breeds were investigated using 20 polymorphic loci (17 microsatellites and 3 proteins). For this aim, a total of 141 blood samples were taken from Turkish shepherd dogs and Turkish Greyhounds located in several geographical regions of Turkey. Multilocus F-ST values indicated that around 1.92% of the total genetic variation could be explained by breed differences and the remaining 98.08% by differences among individuals. The gene flow between populations within each generation varied between 8.4 (Akbash-White Kars Shepherd dog pairs) and 62.3 (Black-Grey Kars Shepherd dog pairs). Four different groups appeared in the 3-dimensional factorial correspondence analysis, and among these, dogs from the Akbash, Kangal, Kars Shepherd, and Turkish Greyhound breeds grouped in clearly separated clusters in distant parts of the 3-dimensional graph. These results clearly show that Akbash and Kangal Shepherd dogs are different populations with different genetic structures. Therefore, the generalised grouping of Turkish shepherd dogs into a single breed called Anatolian or Turkish shepherd dogs is incorrect.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2013. Vol. 37, no 2, 176-183 p.
Keyword [en]
Turkish dog breeds, microsatellite, F-statistics, genetic variability, factorial correspondence analysis, genetic distance
National Category
Biological Sciences
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:kth:diva-125787DOI: 10.3906/biy-1203-64ISI: 000321227800008Scopus ID: 2-s2.0-84875490484OAI: oai:DiVA.org:kth-125787DiVA: diva2:640494
Funder
Knut and Alice Wallenberg FoundationScience for Life Laboratory - a national resource center for high-throughput molecular bioscience
Note

QC 20130813

Available from: 2013-08-13 Created: 2013-08-13 Last updated: 2017-12-06Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

Other links

Publisher's full textScopus

Authority records BETA

Savolainen, Peter

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Savolainen, Peter
By organisation
Gene TechnologyScience for Life Laboratory, SciLifeLab
In the same journal
Turkish Journal of Biology
Biological Sciences

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

doi
urn-nbn

Altmetric score

doi
urn-nbn
Total: 63 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf