– The purpose of this paper is to contribute to the theory development of “temporary
– The paper advances the theory of the temporary organization by
applying a process ontological-perspective.
– This research note conceptualizes “the temporary organization” as constantly changing
across time and space; as shifting between two empirically driven modes:
“goal seeking” and “goal oriented.” This is done through the shift of the trajectory of the particular “project” at hand.
– Based on the theoretical suggestions in the paper, further research is
encouraged to find empirical support of and to develop its claims.
– Despite a call for taking the “organizing”-aspect of temporary organizations
seriously, there is still a need for theory development of the area. By introducing the concept of “trajectories” into the studies of temporary organizations, the paper builds a theoretical framework through which such studies may be undertaken.
Trajectory, Projects, Goal oriented, Goal seeking, Temporary organizations,
2015. Vol. 8, no 2, 368-378 p.